Friday, January 31, 2020

Latin is cool. But stay in school.

Nobody expects a separate language to help them learn about history, or their own language for that matter, but Latin is an exception. Not only did it come in in handy during my trip to Rome about a year ago, but also helped me during the SAT and English grammar. It also has some fun references to plenty of video games like Kid Icarus, and all of the Asterix and Obelix games.

During my trip in Rome, my family and I went on a tour and the tour guide asked what a certain building was used for (I forgot the specific word). While the name suggested something else, I remembered that the word was derivative of a courtroom, and everyone was shocked when I said the correct answer. I primarily remember that particular event just after learning about the various buildings in Rome during Latin I, as well as the basic government systems.

During the SAT, frequently confusing words are used in order to test vocabulary and the ability to fill in context. Many questions (although forgotten) had at least two words of Latin origin, frequently helping me avoid the wrong answers.

My grammar skills have grown immensely thanks to Latin. Not only have I learned about the separate voices, i also learned how to properly use participles and other special verbs to their fullest. It has been a staple of many essays i have written like the Essay for History (French Revolution) and the Colloquium.

Kid Icarus, a Nintendo made video game draws heavily from mythology, with its two major antagonists, Medusa and Hades. Not only are they both quite powerful, their powers are faithfully recreated within the game, revolving around under worldly power.

The Asterix and Obelix games are literally video games designed around the roman empire, with all kinds of culture from the architecture to the combat. Moreover, the characters themselves are based on actual history, albeit more exaggerated.

Latin is present all over the world, though more impactful in more places than others. It can help in a variety of ways, from tests to small fun facts of history. Latin is a great class to take, as it is fun, full of quirky history facts, and plenty of stab wounds to go all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment