Thursday, January 30, 2020

Latin Blog Post

Example 1: Grandfather clock

I have experienced my grandfather clock my whole life because it has been in my house since I was born. My grandfather clock has roman numeral numbers to tell the time. This grandfather clock was built 20 years ago out of wood. The Latin influences are how the grandfather clock compared to all the roman numeral numbers and how they can help you tell time now and back when the Romans did. I appreciate my grandfather's clock because of how he carved all the roman numeral numbers in such detail. Also, how the clock has lasted all these years. Lastly, I appreciate how the roman numeral number is super clear to read so you can tell the time easily. 












Example 2: Circus de Maximo

I experienced the Circus de Maximo last year in Rome. The Circus de Maximo is a chariot racing stadium. It was the biggest and first stadium in Rome. The Circus de Maximo can hold up to 150,000 people watching the race. The Latin influence is to show people how greatly they care about their sports specifically chariot racing. I appreciate the Circus de Maximo because I love watching people race each other and I think watching Chariot racing would be even better. Also, the Circus de Maximo has a lot of people watching which brings people together. Not only does it bring people together in Rome but people all around the world just to watch people chariot race at the Circus de Maximo.



Example 3: The coliseum 



I experienced the Coliseum last year in Rome. The coliseum is also known as the Amphitheatrum Flavium. It has been around since it was completed in 80 AD where people would watch the gladiators fight each other, animal hunts, or gladiators fight animals. The Latin influence is to show how much the Romans spent on building such a beautiful place to watch people fight each other to the death. Being able to go to Rome and seeing the Coliseum makes me appreciate how grateful I am to see it because there have been so many important people who have been there or have fought there. I also appreciate the coliseum because it is an important part of Roman history through all the beautiful carvings. One more thing I appreciate about the coliseum is how it is in the middle of Rome so everyone can admire its beauty.






Example 4: Kanye West 

In one of Travis Scots songs, he uses the words “I keep it 300 like the Romans…where are the Trojans. I experience this before some of my soccer games as pump-up music. There is no real point to the song it just has a lot of random phrases that can get stuck in your head. It also has a great beat that makes you want to listen to it. This connects to Latin because it was the battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC where There was a greek army of over 1000 men where they blocked the passage where the Pursian army had 150,000 men. The persons outsmarted the greeks which resulted in most of them retreating except the three hundred who fought for their death. I appreciate this because it is a good reminder of all the 300 soldiers who fought till death. Also, how they never gave up and that is a good lesson for me. This also helps in life as a friendly reminder to not give up just like those 300 soldiers did not give up.



Example 5: Roman Bath


I experienced the Roman bath last year in Rome. This is one of the remaining walls of a Roman bath. The Roman bath was a public bath used to clean themselves off. In every roman bath, they would have a changing room, an exercise room, open-air swimming pool, a superheated dry and sweating room, warm room, cold room. The Latin influence is to show how the Romans kept their self clean by using the Roman bath system. I appreciate the roman bath because it helps me realize how fortunate I am to have my own bath and not have to charge it with other people. Also, because the roman bath can help me understand how people would get clean because they don't have the technology we have today. I think the roman bath is an example of a way people can understand what the Romans did when they were dirty and needed to wash off. 


Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment