Friday, January 31, 2020

How Latin has helped me


How Latin has helped me

BY: Holden Linderman

DC: Last year in 8th grade when we traveled to DC there were a lot of examples of Latin influence. I got some of them but I have just recently learned what a lot of them meant since I have been in Dr. Morgans class this year. Without Latin, I wouldn't have been able to understand a lot of the things we learned in DC if it wasn't for Latin. For example, when we were in a museum there was a Latin sentence that not many people understood but I was able to figure out what it meant by using context clues and my knowledge of the language.


English: I have struggled with vocabulary and writing in general throughout my whole life. However, since I started Latin things have become a lot easier and I have became a much better writer. One example of how Latin has helped me in English was the other day when we were discussing the odyssey he used a Latin term and I immediately knew what  Mr. Flickenger was talking about. Latin is such a great resource when it comes to English.


Odyssey: The Odyssey is about a hero named Odysseus and his troubles with gods on the way back to his home. I have realized that a lot of the events in roman history that we have learned about have turned up in the Odyssey. For example, Odysseus was the man that thought of the idea for the trojan horse and is the reason they won. The trojan war is also what sets the premise of the whole story. Another thing is a lot of the terminology and all the gods in the Odyssey all have something to do with Roman Culture and Latin terms.


Gladiator: Gladiator starring Russell Crowe is one of my all-time favorite movies. It takes place in Rome and covers so much we have learned in Latin. When I first watched I had just started Latin and I didn't enjoy the movie that much because I couldn't understand a lot of things that were occurring in the movie. I keep on watching it again and again. I have probably watched it about 5-6 times and with my knowledge of ancient Rome and Latin culture I was able to understand everything that happened and I love the movie even more now.


Marines: I watch a lot of US Marine documentaries specifically one on youtube called business insider. For a while, I didn't understand the motto of the US Marines but after learning about mottos throughout the past years, I know what their motto means. Their Motto is Semper Fidelis which is Latin for "always faithful."

All in all, Latin is an amazing Language that has helped me throughout my education. I know for a fact that I would not be as good at writing if it weren't for Latin. Latin isn't just something I'm forced to learn about it is something I choose to learn about because I love its culture. It is important for people to take Latin even after high school for many of the things listed above and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment