Friday, January 31, 2020

How Latin Has Helped Me-Clay

Latin has helped me better understand the roots of the English language. It has helped me become more knowledgeable about English and how the words are not just made up but have roots in different languages. For example the word accept is derived from the Latin word accipio.
Two months ago I was doing basic prep for the SAT and the word credulous came up. While I had never heard that word I knew it had to do with something about being believable because of its root credo.
When I was 8 I read the Percy Jackson series. While it is based off Greek Mythology, Roman and Greek mythology are very similar. As I learn more about mythology it helps me understand books I read especially references like the Cerberus.
Latin has helped me better understand the parts of the English language. As I go further into Latin I learn more parts of Grammar and two months ago when I had to write a paper and my English teacher said don't use passive voice, I understood what he meant because of Latin.
Latin has also helped me understand reference to  historical figures. With how prominent Julius Cesear has been in some of our class discussion, it has helped me understand more about the figure we hear so much about.


I would say Latin has helped my education and positively impacted it. It has helped me understand the language I use and many references in pop culture. I would recommend Latin to anyone looking to better understand their language and the roots of it.

Clay Kollinger

No comments:

Post a Comment